Intro to my autbiography OUTSIDER

     Based on the reception of my other books, OUTSIDER will never be a bestseller.  In fact, I doubt it'll ever be finished.  That's probably why I feel constrained to put what I've written as an introduction (so far) here on the blog.  


    I will never know what it's like to be anybody but me.

    I will never know what it's like to be part of an identified minority: ethnic, religious, national or linguistic.

    But I know what it's like to be on the outside. I know what it's like to be automatically excluded because of who and what I am.

    So, when people say to me, “You don't understand,” because I'm not a member of that group, I find it ironic.

    They're right; I don't understand.

    But there are things I do understand.

    I understand what it's like to be told, “This doesn't concern you,” and then be expected to leave quietly.

    I understand what it's like to be told, “We'll see you tomorrow,” because somebody suddenly showed up and my presence is suddenly an embarrassment.

    And I understand the feeling that comes with the knowledge that people feel good about themselves when I'm included: “Oh, you can come too, Stevie; it's okay.”

    Because, in one way or another, I've always been an OUTSIDER.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

HOW WE SABOTAGE OURSELVES

FREEDOM OF SPEECH REMEMBERED (or THE MYTH OF “HATE SPEECH”)

The story behind the story